Debate Time: The 10 Best Moments In Royal Rumble History

Lists, The Fam, Wrestling — By on January 25, 2013 at 6:43 pm

ric flair royal rumble

By Kellen Daniel / @kellen_daniel

Well, it’s that time of the year again. As we begin the march to WrestleMania, the starting line has always been The Royal Rumble. One of the most unpredictable events in WWE history, The Rumble plants the seeds for an exciting four months in the world of sports entertainment. Careers are made, feuds begin to take shape and the entire landscape of the WWE gets a little clearer. This year is no different, as this is probably the biggest Royal Rumble of at least the past 5-7 years. The Rock returns to electrify as only he can to challenge C.M. Punk for the WWE Championship (more on that later this weekend), not to mention the rumble match itself.

While this year’s pay-per-view is shaping up to be a great one, I want to take a look back at some of the best moments, big or small, from the Royal Rumble of the last 25 years.

The Fam

The Fam is a group of folks who support the movement of The Sportsfan Journal, their words here are as appreciated as a piece of cake to a fat kid.

TwitterFacebook

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

• Brando says:

The Rock’s cousin WOULD write this, haha.

Good ish tho.

• Brando says:

BUT.

A few edits (which no doubt is going to show how invested I am when it comes to wrestling).

– Cactus Jack & Triple H fought in a street fight at the 2000 Rumble, but Trips retired him at the next PPV in Hell In A Cell.
    – Austin won his first Rumble in ’97.

Oh, and the “YOU’RE TOO SELFISH!” promo from Owen was absolute GOLD.

• Kellen Daniel says:

You’re absolutely right. Austin stole that ’97 rumble match from Bret Hart. I just got my years mixed up.
    Those attitude era years started to run together for me. My apologies.

“That’s why I kicked your leg outta your..leg”

LOL

• Kenny says:

Shawn Michaels drew #1 one year and won it. I just knew that would be on here…but it aint…SMH

• Kellen Daniel says:

I couldn’t do it brother. And you know I’m an HBK Stan, but that rumble match was like the fastest one ever. Cats were coming in every minute instead of 2. And it just wasn’t all that memorable, save for him hanging on the bottom rope the way he did.

• Toph says:

If Chris Benoit hadn’t turned into a murdering psychopath, his win might be up near the top ten as well. Dah well.

Anyway, the Rumble is one of my favorite events. Always full of surprises and excitement. Good work my man.

• Man, when Cena came back at the ’08 Rumble, like 3 months before he was supposed to be healed and his music hit in the Garden while he just stood there like “Yeah, y’all know who it is”, was CLASSIC. All the while Triple H was standing there staring like “WTF?” was off the meter.

Then add in that him, Hunter and Batista had a Triple Threat match for the ages at the end, that was a great moment for a great Rumble.