I watched this entire fight after staying up way too late to watch the Memphis Grizzlies trick off another game versus the Los Angeles Clippers. It’s the wondrous ways of Youtube; it’s amazing that these gems can be found at a moment’s notice. I was having an argument with folks in the barbershop about the greatness of Roy Jones Jr., and these young whippersnappers said that Roy wasn’t a top ten all-time fighter.
I about lost my mind. So I loaded up the clip of Jones vs. Bernard Hopkins in 1993, and figured I’d share with the people. Just a couple of things to share while watching this hour-long clip that I don’t expect anyone to watch.
1. Jim Lampley looks scarily young.
2. Larry Merchant looks scarily the same.
3. I have no idea who Gil Clancy is.
4. Bernard Hopkins’ “Executioner” outfit is ten times more awesome almost 20 years later.
5. Roy Jones was even better than I remembered.
6. Watching Bernard Hopkins fight with such pace is borderline mind-blowing.
7. Roy Jones was definitively ahead of his time.
8. This was the undercard for the Riddick Bowe fight vs. Jesse Ferguson
I have more I could say, but I’d be interested to hearing the people’s thoughts on this one. Is Roy Jones a top ten all-time fighter? Let us know as you go over your pertinent reading material this Tuesday.
The Basketball Jones: Eddy Curry used to make some bad bets
SLAM Online: Joe Johnson Unhappy With Number of Shots in Game 4
Pasta Padre: Huge Deal on NCAA Football 13 for 360
Mitchell and Ness: I’ll Trade You a Barkley for a Pippen
Sports Business Journal: NFL a.m.? League network eyes morning show
National Post: NHL’s Canadian teams have plenty to look forward to…kind of
Los That Sports Blog: Home Babe Ruth lived in for sale for $1.65 million
Life + Times: DECODED: Waka Flocka Flame “O, Let’s Do It.”
Hardball Talk: Ryan Howard takes batting practice
Fast Company: 5 Ways To Make Firing Someone Less Painful
Day and a Dream: Steve Francis’ New Hobby … Rapping