The REAL All-Time NCAA Tournament Team

Basketball, Bull City — By on March 30, 2012 at 4:00 am

Every now and then, great thinkers need something to ponder about. Today, the sports aficionados at The Sports Fan Journal decided to collaborate. Since we are all from various parts of the United States, and most of us are followers of different teams, our collaboration of ideas lead to collective observation and insight that should select a formidable group of talent that should hold up generations from today.

Each of these players served as a cog in a machine that was successful and made people take notice. Their legacy has been cemented in our hearts and minds as they should have been long forgotten, but every year around tournament time, something happens to rekindle our love for them and the game. Some of them were able to win it all, while others made a mark on the record books and left a lasting legacy.

Today, we will put together a list of the All – Time All – NCAA Tournament Team. We will select each position of the starting five based on votes. Some of us may have people playing different positions, but they may fit because of the team dynamic. Players receiving the most votes will appear on the first team. We will start as all good teams do with the point guard.

Point Guard – Ed Cota

When choosing a floor general, you want someone who can lead your team. They can pass the rock, shoot when necessary, and they can just flat-out lead. When you think of Ed Cota, he seems to fit all of these characteristics. Reverend Paul Revere spoke highly of Ed Cota by reminding us that Cota never won a national championship during his four years as the point guard of the North Carolina Tar Heels, and no, he never won a Most Outstanding Player of the tournament. So why is Ed Cota here? Because he made three trips to the Final Four in his four seasons, truly as the leader of those squads. He was the consummate point guard and the perfect fit for a cast of talented Tar Heels that would go on to NBA prominence. Cota knew his future wasn’t as bright, so he put all his effort into maximizing the abilities of his teammates, like any true elite point guard should. And that got the Heels to three Final Fours in four years. Ed Cota was the truth.

Shooting Guard – (tie) Anderson Hunt and Miles Simon

Shooters have to be lethal from all over the court. They have to have the ability to light up the court with their mere presence alone. They are marksmen, assassins, and perimeter snipers. Hunt was probably one of the most lethal shooters and scorers of my generation. Hunts skill set is often overlooked because of who he played, with but as Kenny Masenda put it, Anderson Hunt was a monster at the two in the Runnin’ Rebels days. He also went as far as stating that two years ago, he didn’t have him at the two when he made his list. I guess time has a way of rectifying wrongs.

Miles Simon also went on a run that very few have seen. This year marks the 15th anniversary of Miles’s run to the MOP of the NCAA Tournament in 1997. The 1996-97 Arizona Wildcats that won the NCAA Tournament had three future NBA players: Mike Bibby, Jason Terry, and Michael Dickerson. Bibby was the freshman who burst onto the scene and had NBA teams salivating, while Terry and Dickerson already had their NBA futures secured. But it was Miles Simon who went out there and tore through the field en route to the MOP. Simon was the heart, soul and unquestioned leader. Simon proved to be clutch and worthy of a spot on this team.

Small Forward – Carmelo Anthony

The wingman is one of the most important positions on the court. He has to have the abilities of a shooting guard and the ability to take you to the box like a power forward. When you think of versatility and a smooth inside and outside game, no one can argue with Anthony as a choice here. Jason Clinkscales goes further with this explanation of Anthony as a choice. As crazy as it sounds, this was a toss-up between the future Knick and Ed O’Bannon. Anthony got the edge because of the supporting cast he carried on his shoulders as a freshman. What was essentially a Two and a Half Men show for Syracuse (Melo, Hakeem Warwick & Gerry McNamara) compared to the deep team that the ’94-’95 Bruins boasted (and that UCLA needed a miracle shot by Edney to advance). In addition, it was dominance from start to finish in the tournament; Anthony’s Final Four 33-point performance against Texas was followed by the strong title game against Kansas.

Joe Simmons

Color Commentator for Time Warner Cable Sports Network NC/SC/OH and NCCU Sports Network. Washed up athlete who used to ball, now I write and call.

TwitterFacebookLinkedInGoogle PlusStumbleUponYouTube

Tags: , , , , , ,

• Scott says:

I am really surprised that no one chose any of the O’Bannon brothers. They had a great run. I like the picks of Laettner and Ed Cota. Not sure about Melo since he only played one year.

Good Post

• Felicia says:

I would have gone with:
    Tyus Edney
    Donald Williams
    Charles O’Bannon
    Chris Webber
    Christian Laettner

I like this post. I would have gone different with a few choices though.

Ed Cota
    Stephon Curry
    Jamal Mashburn
    Larry Johnson
    Marcus Camby

This post almost needs a second five because of the number of players I would still like to add.

You youngbloods have a great deal of nerve to call this an All – Time team and then only select players from the 90’s to the present? Ha Ha

I respect that you don’t want to pick players that you didn’t actually see. Just call it “The All – Star Tournament Team from the last 20 years.

Being a bit older, I might be able to stretch this list out a little more.

PG – Nick Van Exel – Took two fairly talented but not great UC squads to the Final Four and Elite Eight. The Final Four team lost to the Fab Five and the Elite Eight team lost to eventual champion UNC in overtime. No shame there. He was poised and determined with rock solid decision making. Yes, his pro career was clouded with attitude problems but Nick was the man back in the day. (Um, maybe Isiah Thomas deserves a mention as well.)

SG – Glen Rice shot Michigan to the title in the year 2B.F.F. (Before the Fab Five) Clyde Drexler – Leader of Phi Slamma Jamma, wasn’t joking around either.

SF – I’ll go with Carmelo here. James Worthy and Dominique Wilkins weren’t too shabby.

PF – Larry Johnson is a very good choice. It’s funny how some of our greatest NBA PF’s like Barkley, Malone and Duncan didn’t make noise in the NCAA tournaments.

C – I’ve got to go with Patrick Ewing with Akeem as a close runner up. Webber deserves a mention also. If we’re just talking college, Ewing had the better career. According to Bill Simmons, if Ewing had come out early, he would have gone #1 to Houston and Portland would have taken Akeem. Michael’s fingers might be a little shorthanded if the Blazers had The Dream on those two Finals teams that challenged him.

Great effort, fellas. Brings back memories to a time when a college career was something you could actually follow for 3-4 years. Now, they just love us and leave us. lol

• Jeremy says:

Here’s who I like:

PG Ed Cota for sure

SG Glen rice

SF jamaal mashburn

PF Larry bird (if I’m allowed to put him here)

C lou Alcindor

@Rev – You’re right. Laettner should be on the list. He loses points for not having much of a pro career and generally acting like a jerk. But that should not count against him if we’re just evaluating the greatest NCAA tournament players. His resume just about matches up with Alcindor and Walton and is better than Ewing, Akeem and Webber.

• Ha, all subjective, I know. And believe me, I hate Laettner as much as anyone. But man, 4 straight Final Fours is nuts. All them picks are nasty though – Ewing, Akeem, Webber, Walton, Alcindor. I guess the list goes on and on.

• As beastly as Webber was at Michigan, I don’t think you should be eligible for anyone’s vote if you make one of the most boneheaded plays in the history of sports. Just sayin.

As an Ohio State alum, I would contend that the act of enrolling at the University of Michigan is one of the most boneheaded decisions of all time. It only went downhill from there.

• Hey, this was tough for me as well. I took Alcindor, but it was a struggle to choose him over Ewing (*beats chest for the Knicks*) and Olajuwon.

Since I wanted to stay with the natural positions, I had a surprsingly hard time picking a 2. I just couldn’t figure out if I should move a PG to the SG or leave it be since it was hard for me to think of one who stood out.

Laettner: NBA power forward game with the elite prep star attitude. The best college player I’ve ever seen.

• Jeremy says:

This post has me trying to remember names and the same names keep popping up.

• JT says:

This was a super hard post,

PG Jason Williams